|Date posted||27 March 2018|
Shadow 5.10 is the eleventh chapter of Shadow. The Mathers' mind-based powers prove to be as terrifying as they sound. The pressure builds and comes to a boiling point, and Damsel unburdens herself of an annoyance.
Victoria warns the group about Valefor's power, advising them to avoid eye contact; as Sidepiece succumbs to a command from him without looking at him, however, they realize that something is wrong. Their attempts to escape are stopped by a command from Valefor; Victoria and others try to attack, but are similarly deterred.
Valefor forbids powers and weapons; he talks to Victoria, chiding her for not obeying the messages from Mama Mathers to help them, and orders her to serve them. Caught in a flurry of emotions and memories, Victoria releases her aura and the Wretch, distracting Valefor and giving others the chance to attack. After a brief scuffle, Valefor regains control over the situation, paralyzing everyone except the Fallen and forcing Victoria to calm down.
Damsel's begins to flare, interrupting Valefor as he begins to force the attackers to pledge allegiance. He orders her to kill her friends, but is caught off guard again by an attack from Chris, whose Dark Introspection form is resistant to Master abilities; he goes for Valefor but is hindered by several other Fallen capes, and conflict resumes. Taking advantage of the distraction, Victoria removes Valefor from the area and deposits him far away, lessening the compulsion to serve.
The remaining Fallen soon retreat, leaving the Hollow Point villains and hero group to regather themselves; deciding to stay in the camp, the heroes try again to establish a truce with the villains. Beast of Burden refuses the truce, against the wishes of the other villains; Love Lost expresses her support for a truce, swaying Beast of Burden's position, but not before he knocks Damsel to the ground.
The two groups continue through the settlement, where Prancer's group, the Undersiders, and some of the Wardens are occupied fighting other Fallen. A text from Looksee confirms the location of the hostages at the south end; flying to get a better view, Victoria catches a glimpse of the Fallen's anti-thinker measure. As she tries to direct the group to the hostages, Beast of Burden again strikes Ashley to the ground; she retaliates with a blast through his chest.
- Ashley kills Beast of Burden.
- Valefor's power is revealed to have changed to accommodate his blindness; rather than being based around eye-contact, it's now based around voice, but less potent in effect. Skitter inflicting said blindness two years ago, appear to have not been public knowledge, as Victoria's information about Valefor's power is from prior to this change.
- This chapter expands on the formation of the PRT and Watchdog, and the first several PRT case files, specifying Case 0 as Scion, Case 1 as The Siberian, Case 2 as Behemoth, Case 3 as the virus theory of powers, and Case 4 as The Player.
- In response to Valefor's order not to use powers, weapons, or tools, Damsel seems to start to try and remove her prosthetic hands, referencing how they channel her power, and possibly hinting at how she thinks about them.
- Additionally, in response to Valefor's order to kill her friends, Damsel also momentarily looks at Victoria, indicating their growing friendship.
|Chapters||5.1 • 5.2 • 5.3 • 5.4 • 5.5 • 5.d • 5.6 • 5.7 • 5.8 • 5.9 • 5.10 • 5.11 • 5.12 • 5.x • 5.y|
|Battles and Events||Skirmish in Cedar Point • Mathers Compound Assault|